A random episode of Smackdown. August 26th, 1999.
This. Is. War.
Every WWE Champion in order of when they won the title for the first time.
- (1963-1978) “Nature Boy Buddy Rogers, Bruno Sammartino, “The Russian Bear” Ivan Koloff, Pedro Morales, “Superstar” Billy Graham, Bob Backlund
- (1983-1991) The Iron Shiek, Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, “Macho Man” Randy Savage, The Ultimate Warrior, Sgt. Slaughter
- (1991-1996) The Undertaker, “Nature Boy” Ric Flair, Bret “Hitman” Hart, Yokozuna, Diesel, Shawn Michaels, Sycho Sid
- (1998-2000) “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, Kane, The Rock, Mankind, Triple H, Vince McMahon, The Big Show, Kurt Angle
- (2001-2006) Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar, Eddie Guerrero, John Bradshaw Layfield, John Cena, Edge
- (2006-2009) Rob Van Dam, Randy Orton, Jeff Hardy, Batista, Sheamus
- (2010-2013) The Miz, CM Punk, Rey Mysterio Jr., Alberto Del Rio, Daniel Bryan
On this day: Despite a chair shot from Kanyon and a Stunner by Stone Cold, Kurt Angle catches Booker T in the Ankle Lock and makes him tap out to win the WCW World Championship in his hometown, marking the first time the WCW Title changed hands on WWF programming. (7/24/01)
In this 1993 clip, Hulk Hogan, then WWF champion, talks about how he isn’t interested in holding the “toy” championship belt any more, referring to Vince McMahon’s top prize as “bullshit.”
Hogan was speaking at a New Japan press conference, building up to a challenge for their IWGP heavyweight title. Obviously, given the contrasting environments, there are less brother, jack, dudes present here than in your typical Hogan WWF promo.
I just saw this posted on the Fighting Spirit Magazine facebook page. On the post, editor Brian Elliot noted that this caused outrage in 1993, and that somehow Hogan was crazy enough to think news of this wouldn’t reach the US.